Before I found these, I'd never had a crumpet - South African or otherwise. But I'm not exaggerating when I say this discovery changed my life.
These are like the best silver dollar pancakes you've ever had, but better. Amazingly fluffy, incredibly delicate, and deliciously buttery, they pair well with just about anything you'd put on your morning toast (or pancakes, obviously.) I'm incredibly picky about pancakes - if the texture is off, it ruins it for me; thankfully, these little babies hit the perfect balance with very little effort. One of the greatest things about this recipe is you'll only need about 15 minutes, start to finish.
This recipe was adapted from Bryony Van Dermerwe Schwan's version in A Baker's Oddyssey.
South African Crumpets
In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the following(set aside):
- 250 g All Purpose Flour (2 cups)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Dash of cardamom
- Dash of cinnamon
In another bowl (medium or large) stir together the following:
- 150 g granulated sugar (slightly less than 3/4 cup)
- 40 g vegetable oil (4 Tbsp)
In a small bowl (set aside):
- 2 large eggs
In a measuring cup or bowl (set aside):
- 118 g whole milk (1/2 cup)
- 118 g heavy cream (1/2 cup)
- A splash of vanilla extract/paste, or 1 vanilla bean split+scraped
- Once the sugar + oil are combined (no dry spots!) add the eggs one at a time, stirring until the mixture is creamy. STIR. No whisks. Get that ish outta here.
- Add half the dry ingredients and stir until mostly smooth.
- Stir in half of the milk/cream/vanilla, and mix until the batter is completely homogenous.
- Repeat steps 2 + 3.
- Warm a cast iron pan over medium heat (any heavy skillet or griddle will suffice), adding a dab of butter right before cooking.
- Drop the batter into your skillet using a tablespoon or large soup spoon to measure - make sure they have enough room to spread (if your batter is super thick, they might need some help here), and that they're not crowding the pan.
- Cook for two minutes, flip, and cook 30 seconds more.
- Set the finished crumpets on a separate plate, covered loosely with a dish-towel (make sure it's clean!) until you've finished cooking.
- Serve warm with butter and any of the following: raspberry jam, cranberry apple butter, nutella, whipped cream, cocoa nibs, passionfruit syrup, maple syrup, fresh berries, basil, apple compote, blueberry jam, or whatever your lil' heart desires.